Friday, January 27, 2012

[ Internet Addiction Disorder ]


“Excessive use of the Internet can lead to IAD, which then can lead to anxiety and depression”,Jena Sauber, staff writer for the Kansas State Collegian


In a matter of seconds I can log on to my computer, check the weather, the local news, see who won the basketball game, and find the best recipe for Pumpkin bars. After doing so I think to myself “wow, I never would have been able to do all this without the Internet. And, how the heck did I ever live without Google search?”  However, this easy access to the Internet may not always be the best, and can lead to disorders such as IAD.


IAD stands for Internet Addiction Disorder. “Excessive use of the Internet can lead to IAD, which then can lead to anxiety and depression”,Jena Sauber, staff writer for the Kansas State Collegian, explains.  “According to the study, levels of depression and anxiety were positively correlated with the number of hours per week spent online.” 


Image Link
I often hear, “bah, there is no such thing as internet addiction, I can stop if I want to.”  Can you really stop if you want to?  Can you put down your phone while having dinner with friends or family and not pick it up a single time, to make sure you haven’t missed out on Facebook notifications, text messages, tweets or emails?”  Can you make it through a meeting, class, or even waiting in line at the bank without getting bored after a few seconds and going straight to your smartphone? When you wake up in the morning, do you take your phone with you to the bathroom?”  I can sadly say, I fail all of the above.


Dori Hartley of the Huffington Post, as well as the author of Angels and Echoes, explains in her article Social Networking: The Endgame of Natural Communication, how she was forced to go Zen.  Her Internet and phone services got messed up and she was unable to use either one.  She was forced to use her brain again for entertainment.  She explains that she sat on her patio, taking deep breaths, and read a book.  “And it occurred to me: Life goes on, whether I’m updating or not. And I go on, whether someone else is…or no,” said Hartley.  “In the two weeks that I didn’t participate, I found something else: my life.  And I don’t even have to click a button to make it real.”


Curious whether you may have IAD or not?  Check out this website, and take the quiz.  Whether you believe the results or not is up to you, but you may find it interesting.


Internet Addicts from Justin Jorgensen on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment